We all want to have a bright white smile. And to get it, we often turn to the toothpaste aisle at the local grocery store where there are boxes and boxes of toothpastes that claim to whiten teeth. But the one thing you want to know before you buy is if whitening toothpastes actually work. That’s why we’re here! Join the team at our Owensboro dental office as we uncover the truth about whitening toothpastes.
The Good News
Whitening toothpastes can be effective at diminishing or removing surface stains that cause our teeth to look discolored. A dull smile as a result of smoking or drinking too much coffee, tea, or soda can see results from using a whitening toothpaste. However, regular use is crucial in order to see an improved appearance. Make sure to use the whitening toothpaste twice a day for several weeks for the best results. While whitening toothpaste can work, there are a few things you should be aware of.
- Not all whitening toothpastes are created equally. Choose one with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
- Deeper stains usually won’t go away by using a whitening toothpaste. Instead, you should consider a professional tooth whitening treatment or dental veneers.
- Whitening toothpastes aren’t without risks.
The Not-So-Great News
Even though whitening toothpastes can scrub away stains to give us a whiter smile, they can scrub away stuff our teeth need in order to stay protected. Whitening toothpastes typically contain abrasive ingredients which work to rub stains away. However, these same abrasive ingredients can wear away tooth enamel if not used responsibly. A lack of protective enamel leaves teeth exposed to bacteria, and the chance of cavities or tooth sensitivity increases. Furthermore, thinner enamel tends to show more of the dark inner tooth, or dentin, giving teeth a even more discolored appearance — exactly the opposite of the look we were trying to achieve in the first place.
The Other Options
There are other smile whitening solutions available that aren’t whitening toothpastes. Consider doing the following to get a brighter looking smile:
- Maintain dental cleanings with your dentist in Owensboro
- Rinse your mouth with water after drinking tooth-staining coffee or tea
- Quit smoking or chewing tobacco
- Snack on cheese, apples, celery to help gently scrub your teeth between brushings
If you’re truly looking for the biggest bang for your buck, we encourage you to call our Owensboro dental office to schedule an appointment to discover the best professional tooth whitening treatment for you.