What is sleep apnea? It’s a sleep disorder in which your breathing periodically stops while you sleep. But it’s a treatable condition at Thompson & Frey Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Owensboro.
Wondering if your health issues are a result of sleep apnea? Read through these common symptoms. They may help you determine if you need to go see your doctor.
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Sleep Deprivation
- Excessive Snoring
- Episodes of Not Breathing
- Mouth Breathing
- Dry Mouth/Throat
- Frequent Headaches
Don’t misunderstand: having one of these symptoms does not mean you have sleep apnea. If you have two or more, it’s time to see your physician.
There are three different types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea describes a condition where your throat muscles relax.
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn’t send proper signals to control your breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome. This form is present when a patient has both of the other two types.
Some kinds of sleep apnea can be treated with an oral appliance. Treatment can ease your symptoms and help prevent heart problems and other issues.
At Thompson & Frey Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Owensboro we offer sleep apnea oral appliances, along with a full range of family dentistry services. Call our office to schedule an appointment today!